This guide is not compatible with development DSi consoles or Chinese iQue DSi consoles.
What is homebrew?
Homebrew applications are custom, user-made software, which haven’t been authorised by Nintendo. This can include save editing tools, games, emulators, and more.
Homebrew can be run for free on your DSi as long as you have a copy of Flipnote Studio or a previous DSiWare exploit installed.
What does this guide install?
This guide will install HiyaCFW, a custom firmware for the DSi. CFW can be set up on any console on any version.
Custom firmware enables you to use more advanced hacks that userland homebrew can’t easily do. For instance, signature patches let you install unsigned titles that appear right on your System Menu.
What should I know before starting?
- Homebrew allows you to modify your system, which could easily result in a brick if done improperly
- Be careful when restoring modified NAND backups and make sure to test them in NO$GBA before restoring them
- Keep your console plugged in at all times during this process to avoid sudden power loss
- You will need an SD card to use this guide
- Your console should come with one